Saturday, December 27, 2008

How are you feeling, post-Christmas? It's an exhausting day even for healthy people, and for those of us with fibromyalgia (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME/CFS), it's almost guaranteed that we're going to crash afterward. I say that not because I'm a pessimist, but because I'm a planner. For instance, I have a day-planner program on my computer that helps me stay on track (otherwise, it all gets lost in the fog!) The day after Christmas is about the only day of the year that's blank. Nada. Nothing. That's a day to be on the couch. I refuse to clean up the Christmas mess, I refuse to socialize, I refuse to do anything but lay on the couch, watch some mindless TV, and recover. On December 27, there's a social event I really want to attend, so that's the only think on my to-do list for that day. If I feel up to it, I might do something on the 28th. (But don't count on it!) I planned my entire season carefully, so I'm hoping I won't crash as hard this year as I did last year. The reason I was able to plan so well is that a long-time fibromite posted her survival strategy in the forum about a year ago. To plan your next holiday season (or other major event) better, bookmark this: The Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Holiday Survival Guide If you're like me, you'll forget all about that long before you need it. To make sure you remember, you can sign up for my free newsletter, or put a note to yourself in your calendar or day planner to read that article on September 1. Having a good plan makes all the difference in the world. Meanwhile, take it easy and allow your body to recover! To help pass the time, visit the Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome community forum so we can all recover together! How did you fare this holiday season? Share your story (good or bad) so we can all learn from each other. Suggested Reading: Pacing 101: Get More Done by Slowing Down The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire: How Do You Rank? Laughter as Treatment for Chronic Pain Photo © Judith Haeusler/Getty Images

1 comment:

Maria-K. said...

Hi Lisa,
Boy, am I glad I finally found you. But for some reason I am not getting your newest postings. Maybe it is an AOL problem? We will see. But the most important part is that you are still posting. Hope you had a great Christmas with your kids and your grand-children. Take care and stay warm. Hugs, Maria-K.